Few hours ago I received this email:
I don’t need to tell you’re how man face can change so fast after open this kind of email J
I would like to share with you my impression about this exam.
Total time for this exam is 4 swatting hours built from 18 Task.
Its real Labs cover most of the feature you can find in NSX.
- The Lab run over nested environments.
- The Lab work so slow, it can drive you crazy during the exam.
- Some task related to other task.
- It’s including Troubleshooting steps. Some of them very difficult
- You need to wait few days to get your results (in my case it take 24 hours)
- During the exam you can write your comment and give feedback
The skills need to pass this exam cover different role in the IT: Network, Security and Virtualization.
I’m done few 8 hours labs in my lifeJ, I think VMware is on the right regard the Certification NV tracks.
My recommendation for people trying to learn for this exam:
Read my VCIX-NV Page, I will update this page from time to time.
Run over and over the HOL Labs.
Try to break and Fix HOL labs to be prepare to TSHOT in VCIX-NV exam.
You can find other blogs for VCIX-NV
I’m glad I was chosen to be vExpert 2014 program.
Each year, we bring together in the vExpert Program the people who have made some of the most important contributions to the VMware community.
These are the bloggers, book authors, VMUG leaders, speakers, tool builders, community leaders and general enthusiasts.
They work as IT admins and architects for VMware customers, they act as trusted advisors and implementors for VMware partners or as independent consultants, and some work for VMware itself. All of them have the passion and enthusiasm for technology and applying technology to solve problems.
They have contributed to the success of us all by sharing their knowledge and expertise over their days, nights, and weekends.
The list of vEXPERT for 2014 Q3 can be found here:
vExpert 2014 Q3 Announcement
Today I passed the VCP-NV exam,
The VMware Certified Professional – Network Virtualization (VCP-NV) Exam tests candidates on their skills and
abilities installing, configuring and administering a VMware NSX environment. Successful candidates
demonstrate mastery of these skills and abilities.
My Study sources used to learn for this exam was:
- VMware NSX 6.0 Documentation Center
- NSX-V 6.0 Administrator Guide
- VMware NSX-V 6.0 Design Guide
Pay attention, this design guide link is to NSX-V 6.0 version. There is new version of this Design guide 2.0 witch including new feature of NSX-V 6.1 version.
- VCP-NV Exam Blueprint
- NSX ICM official training
- Working with NSX in the filed helped me with some of the question.
Some of the question in the exam was very NSX basic and test your fundamental understanding of NSX components, other question cause me to screws my head.
I think I can compeer this exam to Cisco CCNA level exam.
Most of the question in the exam was VMware NSX for vSphere version NSX-V) and few question was general and can be classified as NSX-MH question.
The Exam Objectives:
Section 1 – Define VMware NSX Technology and Architecture
- Describe the Benefits of a VMware NSX Implementation
- Describe VMware NSX Architecture
- Differentiate VMware Network and Security Technologies
- Contrast Physical and Virtual Network Technologies
- Explain VMware NSX Integration with Third-Party Products and Services
- Explain VMware NSX Integration with vCloud Automation Center (vCAC)
Section 2 – Plan and Configure vSphere Networking
- Define Benefits of Running VMware NSX on Physical Network Fabrics
- Describe Physical Infrastructure Requirements for a VMware NSX Implementation
Section 3 – Configure and Manage vSphere Networking
- Configure and Manage vSphere Standard Switches (vSS)
- Configure and Manage vSphere Distributed Switches (vDS)
- Configure and Manage vSS and vDS Policies
Section 4 – Install and Upgrade VMware NSX
- Configure Environment for Network Virtualization
- Deploy VMware NSX Components
- Upgrade Existing vCNS/NSX Implementation
- Expand Transport Zone to Include New Cluster(s)
Section 5 – Configure VMware NSX Virtual Networks
- Create and Administer Logical Switches
- Configure VXLAN
- Configure and Manage Layer 2 Bridging
- Configure and Manage Logical Routers
Section 6 – Configure and Manage NSX Network Services
- Configure and Manage Logical Load Balancing
- Configure and Manage Logical Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
- Configure and Manage DHCP/DNS/NAT
- Configure and Manage Edge Services High Availability
Section 7 – Configure and Administer Network Security
- Configure and Administer Logical Firewall Services
- Configure Distributed Firewall Services
- Configure and Manage Service Composer
Section 8 – Perform Operations Tasks in a VMware NSX Environment
- Configure Roles, Permissions, and Scopes
- Describe NSX Automation
- Monitor a VMware NSX Implementation
- Administer Logging
- Backup and Recover Configurations
Section 9 – Troubleshoot a VMware Network Virtualization Implementation
- Identify Tools Available for Troubleshooting
- Troubleshoot Common NSX Installation/Configuration Issues
- Troubleshoot Common NSX Component Issues
- Troubleshoot Common Connectivity Issues
- Troubleshoot Common vSphere Networking Issues
VMware NSX: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.0]
This comprehensive, fast-paced training course focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware NSX™. NSX is a software networking and security virtualization platform that delivers the operational model of a virtual machine for the network. Virtual networks reproduce the layer 2–layer 7 network model in software, enabling complex multitier network topologies to be created and provisioned programmatically in seconds. NSX also provides a new model for network security where security profiles are distributed to and enforced by virtual ports and move with virtual machines.
For advanced course options, go to www.vmware.com/education.
||• Describe the evolution of the Software-Defined Data Center
• Describe how NSX is the next step in the evolution of the Software-Defined Data Center
• Describe data center prerequisites for NSX deployment
• Configure and deploy NSX components for management and control
• Describe basic NSX layer 2 networking
• Configure, deploy, and use logical switch networks
• Configure and deploy NSX distributed router appliances to establish East-West connectivity
• Configure and deploy VMware® NSX Edge™ services gateway appliances to establish North-South connectivity
• Configure and use all main features of the NSX Edge services gateway
• Configure NSX Edge firewall rules to restrict network traffic
• Configure NSX distributed firewall rules to restrict network traffic
• Use role-based access to control user account privileges
• Use activity monitoring to determine whether a security policy is effective
• Configure service composer policies
||Experienced system administrators that specialize in networking
||• System administration experience on Microsoft Windows or Linux operating systems
• Understanding of concepts presented in the VMware Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals course for VCA-DCV certification
||1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 VMware NSX Components for Management and Control
• Evolution of the Software-Defined Data Center
• Introduction to NSX
• VMware® NSX Manager™
• NSX Controller cluster
3 Logical Switch Networks
• Ethernet fundamentals and basic NSX layer 2 networking
• VMware vSphere® Distributed Switch™ overview
• Switch link aggregation
• Logical switch networks
• VMware® NSX Controller® replication
4 Routing with VMware NSX Edge Appliances
• Routing protocols primer
• NSX logical router
• NSX Edge services gateway
5 Features of the VMware NSX Edge Services Gateway
• Network address translation
• Load balancing
• High availability
• Virtual private networking
– Layer 2 VPN
– IPsec VPN
– SSL VPN-Plus
• VLAN-to-VXLAN bridging
6 VMware NSX Security
• NSX Edge firewall
• NSX distributed firewall
• Role-based access control
• NSX data endpoint
• Flow Monitoring
• Service Composer
More detailed can be found: